simplicity vs. efficiency of algorithms in GSL

On 09/22/2008 07:25 PM, Patrick Alken wrote:

There are much faster (and far more sophisticated) eigenvalue
algorithms that are not really suited for GSL due to their
complexity to code. LAPACK contains these types of algorithms
and it is encouraged to use that library if one needs the
fastest available algorithms.

About this point: I have been wondering where the balance of GSL should be on simplicity vs. efficiency of the code. Of course, even a simple algorithm is better than none, but I think it would be good to offer efficient routines in GSL. If somebody publishes a well written, efficient eigenvalue algorithm, would it get included in GSL? Or would it be better off as an extension library?

--
Tuomo.Keskitalo@iki.fi
http://iki.fi/tuomo.keskitalo