Re: simplicity vs. efficiency of algorithms in GSL

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Gerard Jungman wrote:

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 21:37 +0300, Tuomo Keskitalo wrote:

I, too, would very much like to see a good interface for linear algebra!

It may be too soon to have a party, but I'm excited about the following, which was just brought to my attention. The ten-year wait may soon be over.

http://icl.cs.utk.edu/~delmas/lapwrapc.html

It's a draft standard for a C LAPACK interface.

Apparently the LAPACK group is working with Intel to create a final
version of the standard. It may be done early next year. Perhaps it's
time to start thinking seriously about this.

If there is a draft version of the standard, it would probably be GOOD to implement it in something like GSL, as IMO "problems" with the proposed standard are likely to surface only in widespread use anyway. It it actually were implemented (even as a sort of "beta" form, clearly announced as such) before they do finish the final version, we might be able to comment on or resolve any emergent problems in time to get solutions into the standard.

Just a thought.

rgb

-- G. Jungman

-- Robert G. Brown Phone(cell): 1-919-280-8443 Duke University Physics Dept, Box 90305 Durham, N.C. 27708-0305 Web: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb Book of Lilith Website: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/Lilith/Lilith.php Lulu Bookstore: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=877977