Re: GSL 2.0 roadmap

Hello Robert,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Robert G. Brown<rgb@phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> On the same note, a rather long time ago I developed a set of GSL-ish
> "tensor" structures to enable the GSL to handle things beyond matrices
> (which involved of course redefining slightly 1st and 2nd rank tensors,
> or at least paralleling the matrix and the vector). ?Tensors are,
> obviously useful to all sorts of people doing computations in physics;
> not only spatial tensors in e.g. relativistic theory computations but
> also angular moment tensors that may not be efficiently rectangular.
>
> [...]
>
> I haven't worked with the first two for a while now, but I've still got
> the code (of course) and would be happy to de-mothball it if there is
> any interest in reconsidering the vector/matrix/tensor interface so it
> is more extensible. ?I think I implemented all the way out to 10th rank
> tensors -- possibly overkill even for relativity, but I myself use at
> least sixth rank in some of my code, and I'm aware of people who need
> eighth rank.

You may want to check the extensions "tensor" and "marray" that I also
developed a while ago:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/#extensions

I don't know how much overlap they have with your ideas, the main
thing for them is to manipulate tensors of arbitrary rank and do the
common operations on them.

This may also interest you, quoting from the web: "If you want to add
a feature to GSL we recommend that you make it an extension first. We
will list it here so that people can try it out. Extensions can be
incorporated after they have been tested in real use (see "How to
help" for more information)."  So maybe you can consider making your
code an extension if it is not already?

Cheers,
Jordi