Re: containers tentative design summary

Two comments:

I'm a bit rusty with my C structs... but you would need two distinct
static classes to have const and non-const data pointers for your view
right?

Also, it sounds like writing code that will work for a tensor of any
rank (e.g. add two tensors together) might be either tedious or
impossible.  I recognize that part of the problem is the lack of
templating and polymorphism, but it would at least be comforting to
see just how bad the situation is via a use case or two in the design
documentation.   I (naively?) fear that to get good performance will
require a whole library of functions for even the most basic of
operations.

gsl_marray_add_1_0( gsl_marray_1, double );
gsl_marray_add_1_1( gsl_marray_1, gsl_marray_1);
gsl_marray_add_1_2( gsl_marray_1, gsl_marray_2);
gsl_marray_add_2_2(... )

gsl_marray_sub_1_0( ... )

Maybe a system of macros could be designed to help here, but it sounds
like it will never be as easy as writing a couple of for-loops.

James

--
http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~bergstrj