Re: Used git-bzr-ng to import bzr trunk into git master on Savannah

> Looks good after a quick glance.

I'll take that as a yay vote.  After some digging, it seems I can't
make the HEAD symbolic reference point to master instead of oldmaster
without some help.
Patrick, would you please ask the Savannah folks about this?  I
suspect them running
    git symbolic-ref HEAD
would show
    refs/heads/oldmaster
whereas we want that to now say
    refs/heads/master
which (I think) requires issuing
    git symbolic-ref -m "Making updated master the default HEAD" HEAD
refs/heads/master
assuming ten minutes of Googling is enough background reading.

Once that's confirmed as done, I'll remove the existing oldmaster branch.

> 1. Unfortunately it looks like the tags weren't preserved past 1.14 (ie:
> release-1-15 and release-1-16 don't appear to be tagged in the git.

I believe I have this fixed.  Please confirm that
    git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/gsl.git
    cd gsl
    git tag -l
shows tags for release-1-15 and release-1-16.  Also
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gsl.git/refs/?h=master is now showing
these entries.

> 2. We can turn off bzr whenever we want (its in the Main -> Select Features
> menu on savannah) - the savannah people renamed the old git to 'oldmaster'
> for us, that we couldn't do on our own.

I think only admins get that option in the Savannah UI.

> 3. Still not sure about the 2.x issue. Another option is to continue using
> the bzr for the 1.x version and use the git to get started on 2.x features.
> Don't know if this would just make things more complicated.

I'd rather not use two separate VCSes if we can avoid it.  Maybe we
can have a develop-1 for 1.x, master for stable 1.x, and a develop-2
for 2.x.  That would let folk play with 2.x so that we can revisit
this decision in the context of tangible code changes.

For now, there's enough 1.17-ish things to keep me busy in my
freetime.  In particular, I'd like to get Konrad's hermite polynomials
up in a branch so they can be reviewed before being merged.

- Rhys