pixmaps and drawing areas

I've been trying to create some animations for a small game i want to write
in guile-gtk.  My plan was to create a drawing-area, then create a bunch of
pixmaps from .xmp files that i have, then draw them in the drawing area.

Things are not working as i planned.  It's been several days and i have yet
to figure how to get the pixmap to draw on the drawing area.

my code:

;test
(let ((drawing (gtk-drawing-area-new)))
  (let((picture3 (gtk-pixmap-new "./peon3-4.xpm" drawing)))
    (gtk-drawing-area-size drawing 50 50)
    (gdk-draw-pixmap drawing picture3)
    (gtk-box-pack-start main-box drawing #t #t 0)
    (gtk-widget-show drawing)
    ))

now the fact that i did gtk-pixmap-new, makes me think it might be
incompatible with the gdk-pixmap-draw routine (one in gtk one is gdk), but
gdk-pixmap-new will not accept a filename as it's parameter.

How do i get this to work, or am i taking the entirely wrong approach to
this?

Thanx,
     Corey