Re: Gtk tutorial examples

Marius Vollmer wrote:

> I think it would be a good thing for us to use this PROGRESS file as
> kind of guidance what to do next.  SO if anyone wants to contribute...
>
> > I had major problems with selections and pixmaps,
>
> I don't know about selections but pixmaps should be doable without
> much dirty work.  We can just use GdkWindow wherever Gdk uses
> GdkPixmap or GdkBitmap.
>
> > and the almost total lack of documentation was a big pain. [:-)]
>
> What did you miss specifically?  I'm curious with what people have
> problems.

I've expanded the explanatory files a bit.  (And I'll leave these alone
for now.)  If you want me to send the PROGRESS file to this list, send
an email to my address.

The files TRANSLATION and PROGRESS include notes on issues and problems
I encountered when translating the examples.  The TRANSLATION file has a
few notes on how and how not to do callbacks.  If these are wrong, tell
me.  I'd be happy to add explanatory notes anyone supplies.

PROGRESS contains three things: a list of specific problems encountered
with each example; a list of general issues; and a progress indicator
for each example.  In many cases there are very small outstanding
problems preventing the completion of an example.  It would be very
helpful if, when something in guile-gtk is fixed, a fix to the example
could also be passed on.

The list of general issues also serves as a list of things I found hard
to understand from the documentation.  To be honest, we really need a
central place for notes and tips.  The current documentation is cryptic
and limited.  If it weren't for the fact that 90% of the translation is
very easy, I wouldn't have got anywhere.  (In fact, the tar file
contains some sed filtering that does 60%. :-) )

None of these files (README, TRANSLATION, PROGRESS) should be taken as
at all definitive, but rather initial sketches.

Alex.