Re: ANNOUNCE: guile-gtk-1.2 0.31 has been released

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 06:48:46PM -0500, Jose Ariel Rios Osorio wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 14:06, tomas@fabula.de wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 07:39:53PM +0200, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> > > I have cleaned up guile-gtk a bit and started the new guile-gtk-1.2
> > > branch.  That variant of guile-gtk supports only Gtk+-1.2 and works
> > > without Gnome.

[...]

> If someone is interested I will be releasing new gnome-guile
> next week

Yes, of course I'm interested. This is how I see it from my
(limited) point of view:

Gtk is independent of gnome. This is a Good Thing, a question
of software layering. I think there should be gtk-only guile
bindings and gnome guile bindings. They serve different purposes.
If it is possible to layer the gnome bindings on top of the
gtk bindings, then it's paradise, but still -- if not, we *do*
need the gtk-only bindings.

And by `gtk-only' I mean it should be possible to download
the gtk package, compile it, compile guile, compile the gtk
bindings, done (not needing tools from gnome and friends,
just the stuff considered `standard', like gcc, make &c.).
In other words, use, build and development with guile-gtk
should not depend on guile-gnome. The reverse might be
true (I think it'd be even desirable, in the sense of
good software layering).

But I'd *love* to see guile-gnome thriving (imagine writing
desktop applets in guile, or controlling your window manager
with guile -- that's the kind of things guile was for in the
first place).

Regards, and thanks for the fish ;-)

-- tomas