gdk-window-get-origin (was: texinfo documentation)

Marko Rauhamaa <marko@pacujo.net> writes:

>    gdk-window-get-origin
>
> was written prior to my time, and it returns (x . y)

There are a few such.  gdk-window-get-size was the only one I'd been
using.  I'm going to put the following in the docs.

 - Function: gdk-window-get-deskrelative-origin window
 - Function: gdk-window-get-origin window
 - Function: gdk-window-get-position window
 - Function: gdk-window-get-root-origin window
 - Function: gdk-window-get-size window
     Unlike other multiple-return values functions, these return a pair
     rather than a list.  The `car' is X and the `cdr' is Y.  Or for
     `gdk-window-get-size' the same for WIDTH and HEIGHT.

> That precedent led to a whole slew of other analogous GdkPoint routines,
> and it was only natural to extend the principle to GdkRectangle as well.

I think the above should be regarded as unfortunate departures from
the multiple-values convention.

> While I could back out on my changes,

Please do so.

> this one would require a higher
> authority. Now, gdk-window-get-origin is not included in my SuSE 7.3
> release (guile-gtk ver. 0.19). Was it ever released out to the public?
> It is a vintage function according to the ChangeLog (2001-02-04).

They look to me too long established to be changed.

> Each guile-gtk function signature needs to be mentioned.

The aim, I think, is still that this should not be necessary.  Careful
attention to uniformity should keep exceptions to a minimum.

Even if it does turn out to be worth having each described, it's still
got to be highly desirable to have maximum consistency with the
corresponding C functions.