Questions

To Whom It May Concern:

Siemens is interested in porting GUILE from the SUNOS5 UNIX
environment to the Windows NT (4.0) environment.

I understand that GUILE has successfully been ported to NT
using the gnu c compiler.  I would appreciate it if you could
answer the following questions in this regard:

1. Which version of gnu c  was used to compile GUILE in
   the Windows NT environment?

3. Which version of GUILE was compiled by the gnu c compiler
   version answered in question 2?

4. The version of GUILE that we currently have is 1.0.  We also
   have a tar version of 1.2.  Could version 1.0 still be used
   to port to NT; or do we have to use 1.2; or would we need to
   obtain version 1.3?

5. Do you know if GUILE been successfully compiled and linked in
   Microsoft's Visual C++ NT environment?

6. Whichever software has been successfully used to port to Windows
   NT, (gnu c or Visual C++), are makefiles, documentation, include
   files, libraries, etc. availabel to support our effort?  In other words:

   a) If a  gnu c  compiler is to be used for compiling and linking on
      Windows NT, is access to the makefiles available?

   b) In the version that we currently have on line, file config.sub
      contains what appears to be a "-windowsnt" option.  Is this file
      used when compiling GUILE with gnu c for Windows NT?  How?

   c) If Microsoft's Visual C++ can be used, have the Build Settings been
      documented anywhere or is there an NT makefile available?

7. What difficulties would you anticipate if we plan to port GUILE using
   Microsoft's Visual C++?

Thank you for your time,
Rita Altucher
raltucher@scr.siemens.com