Re: mbstrings

Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> writes:

> The other day I noticed mbstrings.[ch] in the Guile distribution.
> It looks like some half-written multibyte string support.

It is.

> I think having two different representations of strings in Guile is a
> bad idea.

I agree.

> Instead I think Guile should just define what it wants to
> use internally (some encoding of Unicode, IMHO), and provide
> convenient ways to convert to/from other encodings.

Yes, but I think we should choose a byte size version.  There is some
"pallette switching" byte version of Unicode, isn't there?  Of course,
this has the disadvantage of complicating the handling of string
length.

> Nonstandard encodings shouldn't be "strings".

Or simply a string that the programmer knows contains a nonstandard
encoding.

> I think mbstrings.[ch] and supporting code should be removed before
> somebody starts using it.

(And I'd love to write

  scm_puts ("#<", port);

instead of

  scm_gen_puts (scm_regular_string, "#<", port);

everywhere. :)

It would be really great if you could remove mbstrings.[ch].

But of course Jim has to give his view on this first.

/mdj