Re: mbstrings

Stallman wants Guile to use MULE's encoding, which I think is
horrible.  I think UTF-8 and Unicode are great.

There's no nice way to deal with variable-length characters.
string-length and string-ref are just hopeless, if you want to
preserve the properties promised by R4RS.

Wide characters are better, but Stallman is opposed to them.  He feels
they will waste memory (not a good argument --- sometimes memory is
worth wasting) and will make interoperation with ordinary C code
harder (this is a good point).