Re: mbstrings

>Does [Stallman] have some real objection to Unicode?  Or is this just
>an arbitrary and quixotic decision?

I think he's relucant to rewrite MULE to use Unicode.  I think he's
reluctant to commit to one encoding; MULE, if I recall correctly,
allows you to switch between several 16-bit encodings.  I think he has
a higher tolerance for complexity than most people.

I need to consult one more guru, but I'm leaning towards using 16-bit
characters everywhere internally, and providing convenient conversion
functions.  Note that copying is sometimes already necessary for
substrings.

>What's the word on excising mbstrings.[ch]?

It can go.