Re: i18n; wide characters; Guile

Hi!

On 19 Oct , Keith Wright wrote:
>>>Unicode will not be able to represent all of Hanzi/Kanji/Hanza (the
>>>ideographs).  The news coming from the Taiwanese committees let us
>>>assume they have another 30,000 ideographs and more to come.
>>
>>This is insane.  I'm going to go become a gardener.
>>

> I am no expert, but I took two years of Chinese.  I think my Chinese
> teacher said that the total number of Chinese characters is several
> hundred thousand.  On the other hand you can read a newspaper knowing
> only about a thousand.  The large majority of possible characters are
> used very infrequently, and in many cases only in ancient documents.
> But, he said, (with what I took to be bitter irony) there are
> uniformities in the shape and meaning of the characters, without which
> the written language would become unwieldy.
>
> I think this means that you can use a fixed width 16 bit
> representation for most daily correspondence, but you will still need
> escape codes and special purpose fonts for ancient Chinese, for the
> artist formerly known as Prince, and for logos and other graphics that
> are embeded in text.

Well, I always thought that characters were "invented" to allow for a
simple encoding of words. In this sense "chinese characters" are IMHO
no  characters at all because they encode whole words by themself (at
least that's what I think). So I would expect to use more than one
character to represent a "chinese character".

OK, this is just a philosophical point of view and does not help to
solve the technical problems.

Martin Kuball