Re: garbage collectors

>From owner-guile@cygnus.com Wed Nov 19 21:35:23 1997
>Date: Wed, 19 Nov 97 21:10 EST
>From: kwright@tiac.net (Keith Wright)
>To: guile@cygnus.com

>> >Perhaps, for the paranoid (or bitten), there could be a call that
>> >designates a certain area of the stack as _not_ containing any
>> >pointers into the heap.
>>
>> Only the stack is scanned conservatively.  Precise techniques are used
>> everywhere else.  If you want to keep memory from being scanned
>> conservatively, allocate it with malloc.
>>
>That convinces me.  Put that suggestion in the documentation somewhere,
>and anyone who worries about the problem for five minutes more is crazy.

I agree.  This is the kind of crucial "design rationale" point that
ought to be made very clear, both so that people will know when
a system is well-designed (and choose to use it), and so that poeple
will know how to solve straightforward problems straightforwardly.

Too much documentation lacks this kind of "pearl of wisdom."  I'd
put the Scheme report in that category.