Re: Transition from guile-ii to 1.2

   Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:44:32 -0500 (EST)
   CC: guile@cygnus.com
   From: Tim Pierce <twp@skepsis.com>
   Sender: owner-guile@cygnus.com

   > Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 13:59:45 -0800
   > From: Rob Engle <grenoble@spimageworks.com>
   >
   > I've been using guile-ii for some time now

   My hat is off to you, sir.

   > 1) when an error occured during a "load" guile-ii would give the line
   > number at which the error was detected.

   Unifying Guile's error reporting (both this question and #5 in your
   message) is important to me, too.  It's very helpful to know where an
   error occurred even in non-interactive mode.  However, other things
   keep bumping the priority level.  We discussed this a while ago, and I
   think the consensus was that Mikael is the most-qualified one to fix
   this, and he's too busy to get to it. :-)

I'm not sure how this could get bumped on the priority list.  I tried
to load a 1000-line file with calls to g-wrap primitives that I had
generated with macros.  I had to do a binary search, repeatedly
removing sections of the program, to find where the error was, when
normally I could have just type C-x ` in emacs to go there
immediately.  Right now, I would rank this patch number one
priority...

Cliff

--
Clifford Beshers                     Computer Graphics and User Interfaces Lab
beshers@cs.columbia.edu                         Department of Computer Science