Guile port of xscm

I have prepared a simple minded port of xscm to guile,
and it has been placed in the contrib/misc directory on the
developers site at

ftp://ftp.red-bean.com/pub/guile/contrib/misc/xguile.tar.gz

xscm allows the creation of GUI programmes using the Athena or
Motif widget sets. Xt based toolkits like these are probably not the
wave of the future, but many existing programmes use them, and could
benefit from an embedded Guile interpreter. The distribution only
contains the few extra scraps you need to adapt xscm to guile; you will
have to get xscm, guile, and the toolkits yourself. I have only tried
it with the Lesstif clone of Motif, (which is copyrighted to the FSF),
but it seems to work OK. You need the most recent patch of xscm, or else
you will have to edit the file x.c.

You will also have to alter the xscm Makefile, and most of the examples.
I have not tried to make dynamic loading work, as my old Ultrix system
does not have shared libraries.

More details are in the README file in the distribution.

Good luck, and I hope it is useful to somebody.

Julian Satchell
<satchell@dra.hmg.gb>