Re: dynamic Bindings

Sascha Ziemann <szi@aibon.ping.de> writes:

> Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
>
> > Real dynamic bindings should be thread-local.  Currently, there is
> > only one way to achieve this in Guile:
> >
> > (define doit (make-fluid))
>
> What does it mean "currently"? Will there be something different in the
> future?

There is nothing planned.  However I don't think we have a
satisfactory standard way of setting customization options in an
application yet.

For example, I think it feels awkward to use the fluids as a
replacement for the current Emacs customization variables.  (Maybe
less awkward if we can use a different syntax.)

Dynamic bindings is a simple and useful way of customizing the
behaviour of an application.  Since Guile is supposed to be an
application configuration and extension language, Guile ought to
supply some means of customization which is at least as simple and
useful.

We don't have that yet.

I don't currently know how it should look like.

It *could* happen that we get something in the future which looks more
like ordinary dynamic bindings.  That's why I wrote "currently".

/mdj