Re: Considering Guile as part of a Master's Thesis

Pat Eyler <peyler@nortom.com> writes:

>    * a byte compiler -- this has been talked about on the list (as has
>      a true guile compiler or a guile to C compiler), check the
>      archives at www.red-bean.com/guile/guile for more info.

A few weeks ago, the original author of the bytecompiler posted his
reason for giving up the project. Once he got it to actually work, the
consing dropped by 20%, the the overall speed also dropped by
10%. This also proves Aubrey Jaffer's thesis that low consing isn't
the necessary condition for speed (and my own timing shows that Guile
is exactly as fast as RScheme in bytecompiled mode in everything
except the tasks that can show off RScheme's generational GC).

For that matter, finishing the port of Hobbit (Guile->C compiler) or
(even better) adding generational gc sound like good and sufficiently
nontrivial ideas, IMO. :)

--
I refuse to use .sig