Re: Tcl/Tk changes from Guile-iii to Guile 1.x

Aleksandar Bakic <bakicale@cps.msu.edu> writes:

> I am having problems porting some Guile-iii Tk code to Guile
> 1.3a. Even some trivial GUIs behave strangely: sometimes they work,
> sometimes they hang, sometimes I get "Illegal instruction"
> error.

There are no major changes to the Tk interface between Guile-iii and
Guile 1.x.

Even though I could never be sure, I don't think there are any major
bugs in the current Tk interface.  I've used it in fairly complex
programs for almost two years without problems.

I suggest that the problems you encounter is due to some bug in your
code that has been dormant until now, and which turns up now only
because code has moved in memory.

Is the code complex?  If you can isolate the problem into a reasonably
sized program then perhaps you could send it to me so that I can have
a look at it?  (I don't promise to put much time into it though...)

> I also tried defining `local-eval'

(This function already exists.)

> What are the plans for the new Tk interface?

The *plans* are to finish the port of the STk interface which I
initiated earlier this autumn.  It's not very much more to do, but
currently nobody seems to have time to work on it.

I may have a chance to continue on it at the beginning of February.

/mdj