Re: bitvector efficiency

   Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:19:14 +0100 (MET)
   From: Christian Lynbech <chl@tbit.dk>
   Comments: Hyperbole mail buttons accepted, v04.023.
   Sender: owner-guile@cygnus.com

   Still working on convincing my group members, I also need to know
   about bitfiddling in guile.

   The project I am to work on, will communicate over the network
   according to standards, and thus will need to fiddle bits in order to
   convert the requests from their standard representations to internal
   (scheme) structures.

   I have noticed that guile supports bitvectors. Can I assume that they
   are reasonably effecient to use? (Extending in C is always an
   opportunity, but having good bitvectors would also be nice).

I used Guile's (then called SCM) bit-vectors in implementing a very
fast query system for free text databases (> 3 million records).