Re: Portability and more...

    Scott> It looks like guile only exists on UNIX right now. Is there
    Scott> an effort to put out an NT port? I am not much of a fan of
    Scott> NT, but I am looking at using it within a portable
    Scott> application.

Anthony Green has already ported Guile to NT using cygwin32, and maybe
even with native NT tools.  I'll let him answer since he's on this
list :-)

    Scott> Also, I want to use guile embeded within a Sybase Open
    Scott> Server application.  Open Server is a coorperative
    Scott> threading library and I would like to give each thread an
    Scott> instance of a guile interpreter.  Are there any re-entrancy
    Scott> issues I need to concern myself with?

Yeah: that's a problem.  Take a look at the archive of this mailing
list to see if the (many) threading discussions have addressed that
issue.  I think the consensus was that you need to run a single Guile
interpreter.

    Scott> Lastly, I am looking at using guile within a
    Scott> quasi-commerical application (in a tool for use by my
    Scott> consulting practive) and I was wondering if there has been
    Scott> any discussion about moving to the GL-GPL (the GNU Library
    Scott> General Public License) rather than the existing GPL?

Actually Guile is licenced under the Guile GPL.  This has an extra
exception which probably covers your situation:

 * As a special exception, the Free Software Foundation gives permission
 * for additional uses of the text contained in its release of GUILE.
 *
 * The exception is that, if you link the GUILE library with other files
 * to produce an executable, this does not by itself cause the
 * resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
 * Your use of that executable is in no way restricted on account of
 * linking the GUILE library code into it.
 *
 * This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why
 * the executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public License.
 *
 * This exception applies only to the code released by the
 * Free Software Foundation under the name GUILE.  If you copy
 * code from other Free Software Foundation releases into a copy of
 * GUILE, as the General Public License permits, the exception does
 * not apply to the code that you add in this way.  To avoid misleading
 * anyone as to the status of such modified files, you must delete
 * this exception notice from them.
 *
 * If you write modifications of your own for GUILE, it is your choice
 * whether to permit this exception to apply to your modifications.
 * If you do not wish that, delete this exception notice.  */