Re: dangerous apply

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@nada.kth.se> writes:

> > Tom Lord <lord@emf.net> writes:
> >
> > > It seems to me that if you _always_ copy the targeted environment
> > > frame when expanding a "set!" of a local variable, the problem
> > > is entirely eliminated.
> [...]
> I think it is a great idea.

In fact I think it is such a great idea that I have to praise it some
more.  It is good because

1. It is simple.

2. `set!' is really alien to Scheme.  It is good if the negative
   effects induced by non-functional operations can be restricted to
   programs using non-functional operations.  And this is what your
   suggestion leads to.

3. It doesn't increase complexity in the type system or in the GC.

Thank you!

/mdj