Re: First try at using guile -- erk!

On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 02:27:41PM +1000, Telford Tendys wrote:
> Opening my scheme book at a random page and invoking the guile
> program to test out a simple scheme example, I type:
>
> (define 'value 2112)

Ouch! Guile is indeed non-standard here, since guile allows even the
so-called reserved syntactic keywords to be redefined. So what you actually
did was

(define quote (lambda (value) 2112))

And you can guess what happens when quoting doesn't work any more..

Maybe it would be sensible to have boot-9 have its own module, so this sort
of thing wouldn't happen? Or then just enclose it all in
(let ((quote quote)(define define) ...) ...) :)

Lauri Alanko
la@iki.fi