DJGPP and Win95

Well after wrangling with the automatic ./configure
script and hacking the code heaps, I managed to get the
1.3a version of the guile core to compile on DJGPP running
on a Win95 machine. This is effectively running as a DPMI
DOS program in a Win95 DOS shell window.

I had to rip out all of the socket support though,
don't know if DJGPP does sockets differently or if it just
doesn't do them at all. Well, I might figure this out
in good time but right now sockets are not of prime importance
to me.

The shared library stuff was totally disabled which is pretty
much what I expected. When I eventually got configure working,
it did the disable for me OK.

Questions to the list:

* Is anyone else compiling guile for DOS?

* for win95 using a console window (i.e. not a virtual DOS window)?

* Can anyone use DLL format for dynamic linking?
  (not a patch on the ELF format but it's the best you get in win95)

Some comments:

* libtool does actually work in DOS but you have to be careful
  to put ^M on the end of every line.

* filenames have to be fiddled to get inside the 8.3 limit.

* guile starts up very quickly on the DOS shell.
  This is an odd thing -- the DOS machine is roughly double and a bit the
  speed of my linux machine for most intents and purposes but the
  linux machine usually does a make faster because of it's smarter
  disc caching, expecially when gcc is executed many times in a row.
  However, when executing guile, the prompt comes up about 10 times
  faster (or more perhaps) on the Win95 machine. Is this a consequence
  of the dynamic linking being disabled? The sockets perhaps?
  I'm not using unexec in either case (I suspect that it would be
  difficult to use it in DOS, though they did manage it for emacs
  so there must be a way).

About the B-Trees...
no one seemed much interested in the B-Tree data.
I've thought of a use for it for my own purposes but it's going to be
part of a larger device so I'll concentrate on that instead of
polishing up the B-Tree distribution in itself.

I have a bit of an idea about using `make -k' as a basis for
automatic configuration rather than shell scripts. I have access
to a Sun SPARC (-shared -fPIC), a Linux 386 (-shared) and a
Win95 machine (can't do shared at all). I figure that if I can
get something to handle those environments then I'll call it
portable <grin>.

	- Tel