Re: Re: Scheme profiling

I have tried Mikaels suggested code and it works; alarm limits you
to 1 sample per second, but using (for Linux) setitimer in a loaded module
of c-code is fine. As there are copyright problems if I want to contribute
anything back, could I suggest that somebody who does not have any
restrictions on them modify guile by adding an extra timer call;
then depending on which timer is used the profiling code of Mikeal can
be triggered. In fact I wonder if the nicest way to integrate it would
be as an extra debug option; (debug-enable 'profiling) would turn it on.
To be comparable to c-code profiling the data can be written to a file;
the analysis can happen later.

One minor oddness, on my current snapshot (19980601), when I tried to
follow the reccomendation about limiting depth of the stackcopy, by typing

(debug-set! 'maxdepth 10)

I got

ERROR: In procedure debug-options-interface in expression (debug-options-interfa
ce (append # #)):
ERROR: Unknown mode flag
ABORT: (misc-error)

Bug or stupidity?