Re: generating a manual from annotations in source code

 >> Do people feel that, if the documentation is a separate file,
 >> programmers will be discouraged from writing docs, whereas, if the
 >> documentation were mingled with the source, then programmers would
 >> naturally write docstrings as they go along?

Manual is manual and docstrings are docstrings.
Both are necessary, and one cannot replace or autogenerate the other.
The manual can include the docstrings though, e.g., as hypertext links
whenever a function or a variable is mentioned (a la CLHS), but, again,
this doesn't replace a coherent, purposefully written and thoroughly
designed (yep, `designed'!) manual.

IMHO, docstrings should be written and modified along with the code,
should be kept there until the compile time, and then extracted and
placed in a in a special location convenient for run-time documentation
extraction (Emacs model).  The larger, conceptual issues should be
addressed in a separate manual, which can refer to the docstrings for
formal details, while providing examples and explanations.

Just my $0.02...

--
Sam Steingold, running RedHat5.1 GNU/Linux (http://www.linux.org)
Micros**t is not the answer. Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,