Re: generating a manual from annotations in source code

> From: Clark McGrew <mcgrew@ale.physics.sunysb.edu>

>     > Clark McGrew wrote:
>     >> I would like to see a documentation property attached to both
>     >> scheme and primitive functions (and compiled into the
>     >> executable).
>
>     Gary> I would tend to think this adds unnecessary bload to the
>     Gary> binary,
>
> I'd like to see docstrings compiled into the executable since it
> minimizes the number of files that need to be installed.

I would say definitely not, because we want to translate the
doc strings into ten thousand different (human) languages and
choose which file to use based upon local settings.

>                                                    Imagine for
> a moment an application the is extended by GUILE, but that doesn't
> load any scheme files (ie. everything is implemented as a primitive).
> I want to copy the exe to "joe user" without having to install a lot
> of extra files, but I want include the doc-strings.  It's nice when
> you're able to point somebody at an EXE and say, "copy and run this on
> your machine."

That's why we have tarballs and RPM's.

--
     --Keith

This mail message sent by GNU emacs and Linux.
Food, Shelter, Source code.