Re: difficulty of writing translators

> >> Tcl sucks because the only Tcl datatype is a string. Language
> >> primitives will automatically treat strings as numbers, lists,
> >> booleans, or code to be evaluated as appropriate.
> >
> >Yep.  Keep in mind that we only have to make the boundary between
> >Scheme and Tcl convenient, not perfect.  There will be much oddity
> >here.
>
> Hmmm.... just because the target language passes things around as strings
> does not mean that the host has to do the same thing especially for
> primative sorts of things like for math support etc. Am I missing something
> here?

Someone needs to think about this carefully, and see how easily we can
mix Tcl's semantics with Scheme's semantics.  I expect there are many
strategies; whoever decides to start coding gets to make the
decisions.

I think a translator's primary responsibility is to be true to the
original language.  If people grab the translator, try to run their
Tcl code, and things don't work, they'll be pretty disappointed, and
detailed excuses about strings vs. real types will not help.

I think a translator's secondary responsibility is to interoperate
well with the other languages.