Re: structs, records, SMOBs etc.

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

> In what sense are smobs dynamic that records are not?  The unique tags
> upon which records are built are allocated when the record declaration
> is evaluated.  So the two seem pretty similar to me.

OK, "dynamic" is probably a wrong word.

What I ment is if you have a module that you somehow froze (using the
freezer, or unexec), and the module defines a smob type, you have to
have some initialization function for that module which has to be
called when the module is loaded and allocate a SMOB ID.  You don't
have to do that for records.

OTOH, the problem is probably not serious, since frozen modules have
to have an init function anyway, to register the functions they
provide.  BTW is there any "static" (oops :) way to register
functions, at least theoretically?

mike.