Re: structs, records, SMOBs etc.

Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> > We're going to implement an object system on top of the structs.  When
> > we've replaced the structs, the object system can work on top of the
> > new representation.
>

> Why do you want to implement an object system on top of ("C") structures?
> An object is [presentation of one view of OOP].
>
> I think an object is just a vector of name/value pairs, not a structure!

When saying "struct" we were referring to a data type which Guile
currently uses to implement records.  It is not equivalent to "C"
structs.

The reason why we're going to use this representation in the object
system is that we want to concentrate on the object system right now,
and not the low-level representation of record types (but it seems
that Michael Livshin is interested in working on this issue).  It
won't be hard to switch to another object representation later.

/mdj