Guile and CORBA? -Reply

The Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA) is a mechanism for supporting distributed object access defined by the Object Management Group (OMG).  It uses an Interface Definition Language (IDL) to allow the definition of the interfaces between object clients and servers.  These can be compiled by many CORBA tools into stubs for the client and support routines for the server.

One of the goals is to allow clients and servers to be written in different languages and to run on different systems.

There are a bunch of object services defined also ("Life cycle", naming, persistence, transaction, security, ...).  See www.omg.org for far more information that you probably have time for.

If anyone is really masochistic, we could define rules for compiling general IDL files to support Guile clients and servers.  I am not sure what this would mean, exactly.  IDL types everything in the definition, unlike Scheme.

Gary Page
Regional Office Principal
INTERNATIONAL CENTERS FOR TELECOMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
page@ictt.com (or, temporarily, Gary.Page@wcom.com)

>>> James F Hall <jhall@accessmgmt.com> 08/17/98 10:17am >>>

I received this email from a person who was commenting on GNU Robots.
Can Guile be accessed using CORBA?

(I must admit that I have never done anything with CORBA, and I don't
really know what it is.  Anyone have a two-sentence description of
CORBA, to set the stage for me?)

-Jim