Re: Guile Startup Time Suggestion

hjstein@bfr.co.il (Harvey J. Stein) writes:

> I think you'd be much better off in the short term & in the long run
> to get hobbit working to the point where it can easily & reliably
> compile the modules into shared libraries.

While it would be nice to get hobbit working, it doesn't address all
the problems.  For example, if you want to do something
computationally intensive on startup and then dump, unexec will pop it
back into memory immediately; but hobbit will do it a little faster
than guile would --- maybe reducing the fifteen minutes to ten (I'm
serious).

A specific example of this is the lang parsing code, where it does
indeed take something like this long (on my machine).  In fact, hobbit
wouldn't help much at all here, since a large part of the time is
spent initializing the regexp (the giant DFA) which is written in C.

Andrew