[??] can't get scripts to work!

Help!

I am probably being an idiot but I can't get guile scripts to run!
(I am using the latest guile-core from cvs.)

Could my problem be because I installed readline and am using it for
the first time with guile.  It seems reminiscent of problems I had
before with static libs linked into guile via libtool, when building
other guile apps under Sparc/Solaris.  [Right now (see my recent
posting on scwm-discuss), I can't build scwm either.]

Eg when I run the script

---- Start of included text -----------------------8<--- cut here -------------
#!/home/petersen/mount/solaris/bin/guile -s
!#
(display "Hello, world!")
(newline)
---- End of included text -------------------------8<--- and here -------------

I get:

---- Start of included text -----------------------8<--- cut here -------------
% ~/tmp/guile.world
display: Unable to open file (Hello, world!).
newline: Command not found.
---- End of included text -------------------------8<--- and here -------------

[display here is a Imagemagik binary!]

What is going on?!

--
Jens-Ulrik Holger Petersen  <http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~petersen/>
Research Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Kyoto University