Re: Dynamic loading of extensions?

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> Now there is guile-gtk, gnomeg, guile-tcltk, and and and. Why is it
> not possible to load all these extensions dynamically, at least on
> systems like linux.

It is.  Guile-gtk is only there for those uses where this dynamic
has few enough problems to rely on it).

You can just replace guile-gtk by guile for most occasions.  Like

    guile-gtk -s calc.scm

can simply become

    guile -s calc.scm

Guile will then dynamicall link the needed libraries (starting with
libguilegtk, and then libgtk, all the X11 libs, etc.).

One sticky point is still the repl.  Guile-gtk gives you its own
custom repl that is driven by the usual Gtk event loop.  Guile gives
the normal repl that doesn't yet cooperate with event loops.

Gnomeg doesn't yet play along because it has its own main procedure,
but it should be possible to clear this up.  Don't know about
guile-tcltk.