Re: Automatic stub generation?

Dirk Herrmann writes:
 > On 3 Sep 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
 >
 > >    I am writing a spreadsheet program for the GNOME project and I am
 > > interesting in making Guile have access to the internals of the
 > > spreadsheet[1][2]
 > >
 > >    Is there any package that would help me doing the bridge code, or
 > > should I code those manually?  I remember seeing an announcement for
 > > such thing.
 >
 > Hallo!
 >
 > AFAIK there are two packages: SWIG and G-Wrap. Although I only use SWIG,
 > some of the differences seem to be:
 >
 > - SWIG supports interfaces for several scripting languages, not only for
 >   guile. I contrast, G-Wrap generates only wrappers for scheme (maybe even
 >   only for guile?)

Chris Lee tries to be r*rs-portable, but yet this is just a try. Of course,
Swig backends for more scripting langs than currently supported (tcl, perl,
python, guile ... unfortunately not always current versions and snaps)
don't come automagically out of the blues.

 > - SWIG has rudimentary (but for me sufficiently working) support for C++,
 >   which doesn't seem to be true of G-Wrap. Maybe meanwhile wrappers for
 >   C++ exist?
 >
 > There are probably some aspects in favor of G-Wrap, but I especially
 > remember these points, since they were crucial for me at the time I had to
 > decide which packet to use.

g-wrap is more flexible with non-standard data structures in C.

 > However, for GNOME I suggest considering SWIG, since ISTR that one of the
 > GNOME issues is not to be fixed to a single language. If you are
 > interested, I could send you some examples of how I usually wrap functions
 > and data structures with SWIG.

Isn't it the task of Corba to achieve that for Gnome? Some ILU guy once
mentioned that ilu was originally written for multi-language-applications.

Klaus Schilling