Re: Guile Startup Time Suggestion

karlheg@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>     Andrew> It's worth pointing out that the machine is an
>     Andrew> ancient 386 with 8 megs of RAM, so it's not the speediest,
>     Andrew> especially when swapping.

>  No wonder.

>  My first Linux machine was a 486DX33 with 8 MB of RAM and a 540 MB
>  caviar hard disk.  That machine took about 35-45 minutes to compile
>  Linux 1.0.13.

Wow. Fast. Or maybe Linux 2.0.0 is bigger.  I timed mine once, and it
took six hours to do a kernel compile.  Fortunately, it supported
modules, so I made everything I might ever need into a module.
Several months later, I tried to read a ZIP disk and discovered that
the kernel supported it... but I digress.

>  The AMD K6 233 I'm running now, with 128MB RAM and > 8GB of disk, can
>  compile Linux 2.0.35 in about 7 minutes.
>
>  I think you ought to look for a newer computer.

Yeah.  I just did (after a couple of weeks in the shop) --- and it is
a lot faster.  The disk is still slowish.  I'm still going to be using
the old one...  Somebody offered me an even more ancient DECstation,
but I don't really have room.

Anyway, I haven't really got guile up and running yet.  But the
ZAngband autoroller is fast. :).

Andrew