Re: awk imitation with guile

Klaus Schilling <Klaus.Schilling@home.ivm.de> writes:

> Thanks, but it seems that the scsh license is incompatible with GNU
> GPL .  Or is the awk macro covered by fair usage?

Here it is, taken from file COPYING in the scsh distribution:

---
Copyright (c) 1993, 1994 by Richard Kelsey and Jonathan Rees.
Copyright (c) 1994, 1995 by Olin Shivers and Brian D. Carlstrom.

   Use of this program for non-commercial purposes is permitted provided
that such use is acknowledged both in the software itself and in
accompanying documentation.

   Use of this program for commercial purposes is also permitted, but
only if, in addition to the acknowledgement required for
non-commercial users, written notification of such use is provided by
the commercial user to the authors prior to the fabrication and
distribution of the resulting software.

 This software is provided ``as is'' without express or implied warranty.

---

I agree that this license is less preferable than the GPL, but I still
think it meets the FSF's definition of free software.  So I think you
can use it, but of course this is your choice.  Personally, I prefer
the GPL, but I don't have a problem using software with another free
software license.

Also, Jim has asked me to send mail to Olin about changing the license
to GPL.  I've sent him some mail, but I haven't heard back yet.

-russ

--
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.