Anon build failure.

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

 > > It's untested because I can't build the latest anon update:
 > >
 > > gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I.. -I./.. -O2 -g -pg -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wp,-MD,.deps/readline.p -c readline.c
 > > readline.c: In function `rl_cleanup_after_signal':
 > > readline.c:84: `rl_deprep_term_function' undeclared (first use this function)
 > > readline.c:84: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
 > > readline.c:84: for each function it appears in.)
 > > readline.c:88: `rl_pending_input' undeclared (first use this function)
 > > readline.c: In function `scm_init_readline':
 > > readline.c:325: `rl_getc_function' undeclared (first use this function)
 > > readline.c:326: `rl_redisplay_function' undeclared (first use this function)
 > > make[1]: *** [readline.lo] Error 1
 > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hjstein/remote-cvs-pkgs/guile-core/libguile'
 > > make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
 >
 > This is weird; if you don't have rl_getc_function, then you shouldn't
 > be compiling readline.c at all.  Maybe you need to re-run your
 > configure script?  If that doesn't work, send me your config.log
 > output, and you scmconfig.h file (no need to post them to the list).

It's weirder than this.  I just did:

 1007  cvs -z9 update -d
 1008  make distclean
 1009  CFLAGS='-O2 -g -pg' ./configure --disable-shared
 1010  make

and it succeeded, even though yesterday I did:

  979  make distclean
  980  CFLAGS='-O2 -g -pg' ./configure --disable-shared
  981  make

& it failed.

BTW, 2 questions:

1. Is:

   CFLAGS='-O2 -g -pg' ./configure --disable-shared

   the intended way to make a profiling version for testing?  I'm
   doing --disable-shared to avoid inadvertently pulling in the wrong
   shared lib.  The question is really about using CFLAGS to do this.
   I tried throwing the -pg onto the DEFS variable, as in:

     743  DEFS=-pg LIBS=-pg ./configure --disable-shared
     744  DEFS=-pg LIBS=-pg make

   but that didn't work.

2. What's the easiest/fastest way to rebuild after a cvs update?  I
   couldn't seem to find this anywher in the docs.  Should I do make
   or make distclean ; ./configure ; make; or what?  Can I mostly just
   do 'make' unless there are *.in changes (which I can see when I do
   cvs update) or do I have to do more than that?  Is distclean the
   appropriate target for starting from scratch?

Thanks,

Harvey J. Stein
BFM Financial Research
hjstein@bfr.co.il