Re: Tcl misconceptions

b.stephens@isode.com writes:
> Tcl 8 and later (i.e., Tcl with its byte compiler) is quite different,
> underneath, to previous Tcl's.  I suspect glossing over this is a
> mistake, if you want to try translating it.
>
> Tcl 8 is *not* just strings, internally.
>
> My understand of things is that strings have a special place, in that
> they provide a format that ought always to exist, but the string form
> need not be meaningful.

My understanding is that Tcl 8 uses non-string representations
internally sometimes, but is still meant to have the exact same
semantics as the old all-strings version. Thus, while looking at 8.0
internals might provide helpful hints on how to be clever about
interpreting Tcl, it won't provide particularly deeper insight into
the semantics.

 - Maciej Stachowiak