Re: regexp profiling hell....

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

 > > > If the problem really is in 2, then it means that either we need a
 > > > generational gc for guile (hard), or it *must* ship with compiled init
 > > > files (not hard).  The latter would also help startup time & would
 > > > make the stuff in the init files run faster.  I really don't
 > > > understand the resistance to doing this.  I know there are things that
 > > > *should* be done with the startup files that would speed things up,
 > > > but why not just compile them anyway?  At least people wouldn't have
 > > > to live through the startup times waiting for the day when things are
 > > > cleaned up.
 > >
 > > I agree with this sentiment overall. Even when the init files are
 > > nicely cleaned up it would probably _still_ be better to ship them so
 > > they install compiled. However, the Guile-modified version of Hobbit
 > > is not necessarily ready for prime-time yet. Perhaps the freezer or
 > > the unexec stuff could make a livable stopgap measure?
 >
 > I'm concerned about making the simplest Guile configuration (just
 > guile-core) depend on Hobbit.

What do you mean exactly by "depend"?  What about doing like you do
with the config files - they can be generated if you have autoconf,
automake & libtool, but you check them in so that people can just do
configure ; make.  Similarly, developers who modify boot-9.scm would
need hobbit so they could generate & check in boot-9.c, which would
then be distributed.

 > Second, it seems like a lot of the crap in boot-9.scm is there to
 > support the module system.  If Guile had an environment implementation
 > in C, would there be enough left of boot-9.scm to be worth compiling?

Well, when is this going to happen?  People have been talking over a
year about redoing the module system.  When it gets done you can chuck
boot-9.c & go back to boot-9.scm.  Also, wouldn't a compiled
boot-9.scm *be* an enviroment implementation in C?

Is it really such a hardship to use hobbit compiled scm code in guile
that it needs to be avoided at all costs?

--
Harvey J. Stein
BFM Financial Research