Re: regexp profiling hell....

hjstein@bfr.co.il (Harvey J. Stein) writes:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@mit.edu> writes:
>
>  > I personally think compiling all of Scheme files shipped with Guile
>  > (into loadable modules when necessary) should be supported at an
>  > appropriate time, however, perhaps as a configure-time option, even if
>  > some files are fairly small.
>
> I *strongly* agree.  It's not just startup time that's helped.  It's
> *also* run time in *2* different ways:
>
>   1. The compiled code itself runs faster.
>   2. The compiled code isn't in the data space so GC doesn't have to
>      scan it.
>
> And, yes, a generational GC will help with 2, but a) it won't help
> with 1 & b) when's *that* going to happen?

Hopefully soon, provided I stop forgetting really important things
when figuring out how to implement it. I'm intending to put up notes
on my web site soon on how I'm planning on going about it (I'd do it
now, but I'm not completely sure yet ;). I've been a bit iffy about
saying anything on the list, in case it prevents someone else who
could get it much done much more quickly from working on it, but since
that doesn't seem to have happened up until now, I'm doubting that
there's too many people falling all over themselves to build a better
guile gc ;)

If an interm solution is really needed, maybe someone could port over
the local variable stuff from scm (though this probably could be a
mess & eval is probably too complex as it is).

--
Greg