gh_enter reconsidered

Maciej Stachowiak writes:

 > I've been looking at the possibility of adding Guile scripting plugins
 > for various Gnome apps, like gnumeric (which already has python and
 > the beginnings of perl support). It looks like in many cases, gh_enter
 > is a major problem - these apps load plugins as dynamicly linked
 > modules, not separate processes, thus making Guile's desire to own
 > main a big hindrance which cannot be circumvented. I know many
 > technical issues came up last time this was discussed, but this is
 > becoming a problem in practice so I hope we can reconsider it.

I've tried to look through the sources of Elk, another extensible scheme
interpreter which seems to avoid the embedding problems of main, but
couldn't figure how it's done there.

Thinking of the the multiple sripting language support of gnumeral reminds
me of Corba, especially Orbit which is currently used with Gnome. Would
using guile set up as a scripting server also exhibit that dilemma? For Ilu,
there were once experimental guile bindings.

At least gh_enter loads now boot-9 again, which solves tons of problems that
annoyed us before.

	Klaus Schilling