Re: gh_enter reconsidered

On Sat, Oct 24, 1998 at 01:57:38PM -0500, Jim Blandy wrote:
> Finding the stack base is a very system-specific job, so someone needs
> to get access to ten different operating systems and produce a
> function that works on all of them.  The result should be autoconf
> test which tells you how to find the stack bottom on this system, and
> some C code which uses the outcome of that test.
>
> I'll bet the actual code executed on any given system will be one or
> two lines.  But the function will be chock full of #ifdefs, to use
> whatever mechanism autoconf finds.

When we discussed this before, I had the impression that to find the
stack base portably would be not only difficult, but outright
infeasible.

If it's merely tedious to write the code for a dozen architectures,
somehow I can't believe that it hasn't been done before.  Surely some
other publicly available package must have had to do the same thing?
If it's not running fast enough, we could steal it....

love, T.