Re: gh_enter reconsidered

Mark Galassi writes:

 > No, I decided against it because I didn't want to have to know what
 > was under the hood of the C compiler, and I didn't want the GC to mess
 > with C code used by extensions or embedding apps.  However someone in
 > Russia succesfully ported Python to the Xerox conservative collector.

Is Xerox' gc (same as Boehm's? )free software that can be used in copylefted
projects?
ILU is also from Xerox, and there were problems with its license for some
time, but B.Janssen wants to change the formulation of its license so that
it becomes free software. Maybe the same problem holds for other ftp-able
(versions of) Xerox products as well.

 > > I'm about to study the embedded python interface in detail (I want to
 > > use it together with Guile in the same application), so I guess I'll
 > > figure out how the initialization and GC of C-controled Python objects
 > > works.
 >
 > If you can, wait till 1.5 is out.  Things are a lot easier and more
 > rational there.  The (embarrassingly incomplete) docs for that are at
 > http://grail.cnri.reston.va.us/python/1.5a3/api/
 >
 > > PS: By the way, SCM (a popular Scheme interpreter) probably runs on as
 > > many platforms as Python, so the technique does port.  I just
 >
 > [You were broken off there.]  Is SCM embeddable in COM applications
 > like Python?  Is SCM embeddable in other apps and extensible with C
 > code that links with other software like, e.g., Tcl/Tk?

If one actually wants to use several extension languages in the same program
with C(or C++ or Java) master world, is there a better alternative than using
a Corba-like construct, like ORBit, ILU etc. ?
Does it actually make sense to use several embedded interpreters in the same
thread or process? How would one coordinate several garbage collectors?

       Klaus Schilling