Re: naming modules

mike@olan.com writes:
> Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:
>
> > (Hoping to resurrect a promising topic...)
>
> A definite success.
>

> I'd add:
>
> (RFI ...)
>    The submodules have the names (numbers?) of cataloged RFI's.  For
>    instance, Olin Shivers' list lib will probably be (I'm making it up)
>    RFI #1, and any program that relies on it would be able to say:
>
>    (use-modules (rfi 1)) ;use the common list functions.

I don't like this suggestion, especially referencing RFIs by number. I
certainly expect them to also have nice symbolic names. But beyond
this, I think we should just put RFI-implementing modules wherever is
convenient in the functional namespace, for instance I'd suggest
putting the list lib in question under (util lists) or (util list).

In many cases we will probably want to use something other than the
sample implementation anyway, either to rewrite some or all in C for
efficiency or because some of the relevant bindings might already be
in the Guile core, or whatever other reasons.

Of course, if there is ever an officially blessed Scheme module system
and RFIs get standardized package names we may want to reconsider
this.

 - Maciej