Re: Scheme is too complicated

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> > I don't know ODBC or any of the database interfaces that support
> > cursors, so I use a very simple interface to the database from scheme.
> > The operations that are supported in my interface are basically these:
>
> Perl and (maybe?) Python have good examples of how this all might
> work.  I really can't offer much more than that, unfortunately, as I
> don't know scheme all that well.  I might try and do the C part of a
> postgresql implementation, but I'd like to encourage development of a
> standard first.

What I posted is a proposal for a least common denominator that all
backends could support, so it is the _start_ of a standard.  With the
simple interface I described, you can most definitely get lots of real
work done.

But also, as I said before, I agree with you that we should carefully
look at the design choices made in Perl's DBI, and then decide how
well these abstractions map on to scheme.

-russ

             -- petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)