Re: database access - Re: Scheme is too complicated

Tel <telford@eng.uts.edu.au> writes:

> As far as I know, SQL doesn't support hash tables because there is
> no way to tell it that you don't care about the sort order for your
> table. Does anyone know the deal with this?

As far as I know, there's nothing stopping an SQL implementation using
a hash table; there's certainly nothing stopping an SQL implementation
from not having an index on some fields at all (indeed, that's
normal).

Queries can ask for tuples to be returned ORDERed BY something, or not
mention any ordering.  One would expect a hash index to provide worse
performance (than an index with ordering) when returning things
ordered (depending on the size of the table).

Indeed, I seem to remember that PostgreSQL *does* support hash indexes
(as well as the default b-tree indexes), but I may be wrong.

In any case, all this is just an implementation detail.  Database
clients should never need to know what indexes are present; indeed,
new indexes can be created, and old ones deleted---all
dynamically---without changing client code.  That's one of the
important features of relational databases.