Re: The GIMP! By gum, I forgot all about it!

On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 11:10:34AM -0500, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>scott@poverty.bloomington.in.us writes:
>> Last I heard Lauri was swearing at how hard it was to emulate SIOD's
>> braindead set! semantics in guile.
>
>What does SIOD do with set! that's so unusual?

siod> (set! a 1)
1

I *guess* he means that siod's set! returns the new value. But i don't
see the big difficulty here in emulating this through a syntax-macro.
Other things which are IMHO much more difficult to emulate (though i have
no idea how much they're used in GIMP scripts) are:

siod> #t
1
siod> #f
()
siod> (= 1 1)
siod> (= 1 2)
()
siod> t
siod> nil
()

Basically, SIOD is a mixture of Scheme and (Common) Lisp. This can get very
annoying, since:

siod> (if (eqv? #f '()) (writes nil "yow!"))
yow!

... :(
I really hope guile will get rid of the startup delay soon, since it's the
last reason why i prefer siod over guile for my programs.
	-forcer

--
/* Bugs come in through open Windows.                                     */
/* email: forcer@mindless.com      -><- www: http://webserver.de/forcer/  */