Re: Scheme is too complicated

Jay Glascoe writes:

 > On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Ian Bicking wrote:
 >
 > > Readability: Scheme has a way of leading to long expressions.  When
 > > you get down to it, any functional procedure will be made up of one
 > > (long) expression.  That's hard for humans to parse.  I like the
 > > highlighting that DrScheme does -- when you are at a open or close
 > > parenthesis, it highlights (without being obnoxious) the expression
 > > that is enclosed by that parenthesis.  The passive nature of the
 > > highlighting is what makes it nice.  (The static code analysis that
 > > DrScheme does is also nice, but I'm not sure it's helpful enough to
 > > warrant the complexity of implementing the interface)
 > >
 > > There might be other ways of representing the Scheme to make it more
 > > readable.
 >
 > I'm sure some whiz-bang elisp hacker can whip up some special Guile mode
 > for emacs.

Someone named "mic" wrote mic-paren.el, which is quite nice w/ emacs
under X.  Here are the header comments:

;;; mic-paren.el --- highlight matching parenthesises.
;;; Version 1.3 - 97-02-25
;;; Copyright (C) 1997 Mikael Sjödin (mic@docs.uu.se)
;;;
;;; Author: Mikael Sjödin  --  mic@docs.uu.se
;;; Additional code by: Vinicius Jose Latorre <vinicius@cpqd.br>
;;;                     Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
;;;

The following is what I use (w/ `paren-activate' causing autoload):

(defun turn-on-mic-paren ()
  "Sets some related variables and then does `paren-activate'."
  (interactive)
  (setq paren-face                   'bold
	paren-sexp-mode              t
	paren-dont-activate-on-load  t
	;; Add other mic-paren vars here.
	)